Monday, November 28, 2011

Old movie Cyclic idea!

Movies transform us!
This is so true with Richard Attenborough’s Gandhi. An epic film about the life story of Gandhi, portrayed by brilliant Oscar winner Ben Kingsley, told with Attenborough’s beautiful cinematic and sometimes disturbing graphic imaginary filled with unforgivable quotes.

I first saw this movie in the mid-80's and had forgotten it. I saw it again last week and I realized it had changed me without my knowning.
Gandhi: "I am a Muslim and a Hindu and a Christian and a Jew and so are all of you."
I used this quote a few years ago when a student wanted to know my religion. At the time, I had forgotten the source of my quote. I was effected more than I knew.

Prior to watching Gandhi in the 80'sI had never read any of Gandhi's books. The movie inspired me to learn more. Today Gandhi's message is alive. The Occupy movement carries the same burden.
Gandhi: "The function of a civil resistance is to provoke response and we will continue to provoke until they respond or change the law. They are not in control; we are." This quote is evident when the news shows young occupy protestors are curled up while police spray maze on their heads and faces. None of the protestors moved or fought back. But their civil resistance (non-violent method) is more powerful than giving cause for police to attack violent protestors.

Gandhi is a powerful example of how art can effect us all.

NJ

7 comments:

  1. I think its great when a movie inspires you to dig deeper into the background and story. in my opinion, a good movie should do that. "My Week With Marilyn" did that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Presley. It's really good when a movie, or anything for that matter, inspires you to dig deeper into the story reasons behind it. I find myself doing that a lot with songs. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A movie is meant to invoke thoughts, in todays era people think films must carry along the story itself so the audience doesn't have to do any work mentally, when in reality film-making should be about the audiences involvement entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive actually seen this movie and completely agree. Gandhi’s story put onto the screen provoked a lot of thought and actually led me to watch a similar film on Buddha. The impact that movies and all forms of art have on us are lasting wither it be a conscience change or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard about this movie and by just by knowing Gandhi's work is more than enough to give me a reason to go see it. I have always supported his morals and ideals in idea, he is a great inspiration for most things I do without my knowing so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think that one of the great things movies do is encourage society to look at itself and identify it's problems and eventually fix them. I would hope that by watching movies like Gandi people would realize how to fix their own society.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This movie is inspirational to a general public. Showing that this great man is still a human being and that even we as individuals CAN make a difference and be recognized around the world for it.

    ReplyDelete